Coffee Talk is an LGBT+ inclusive game that combines fantasy with probably the most chilled out place for writers everywhere: a coffee shop. And now the expansion episode Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus & Butterfly will be out on console and PC in 2022.
“Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus & Butterfly will feature new characters, new ingredients, new music, and new stories to tell.” Developers Toge Productions announced in an update on their official Steam page. “In a time where people are isolated from each other, the coffee shop becomes a place where they can reconnect over a cup of warm drink. It’s time to revisit your favorite late-night coffee shop and reconnect with your fantasy friends over a warm drink or two.”
Coffee Talk isn’t the first game that uses the coffee shop setting and it won’t be the last, but what makes it stand out from the crowd is that it combines an urban setting of Seattle with fantastical creatures such as werewolves, vampires, and even mermaids. And if that doesn’t make you want to play Coffee Talk, then it’s also just a very chill game that is LGBT+ inclusive. It’s just that neat.
The premise of the game is that you play as a barista, and your job is to serve your quirky customers by combining ingredients for a warm drink. From then on you listen to your customers talk about their lives, including their highs, lows, and all of the juicy drama. Hell, according to Steam’s description you can even help manage the relationship between that of an elf and a succubus, and help an alien navigate their understanding of humanity. That’s a lot to unpack!
Features to expect in Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus & Butterfly include:
- Brewing warm drinks – You’ll have to mix a combination of ingredients in order to make the perfect drink that can change people’s decisions and warm their hearts both!
- Create a-latte art masterpieces – There’s a lot of art to be found in coffee making! Show off your skills and create a latte-art masterpiece
- Enjoy a chill Lo-fi atmosphere – There’s nothing quite as relaxing as a coffee shop atmosphere. Brew yourself a warm drink, and listen to some chill lo-fi beats as you work.
- An urban fantasy Cappuccinopunk setting – The game is set in an alternate present-day Seattle where humans, orcs, elves, and other races have been coexisting since the beginning of time. You’ll explore the world through the stories your patrons tell.
- A diverse cast – Old and new characters will appear to grab a brew, such as Baileys, the elf freelance graphic designer, Lua, the succubus biz dev executive, Riona the opera star wannabe banshee, and so much more.
Coffee Talk is an experience that has been described via Paste Magazine as “the kind of game that you could think of as your own refuge space, and that sort of experience is just as valuable as any big budget mega-game that sells itself on maximum interactivity or realistic graphical fidelity.” With an endorsement like that, Coffee Talk’s new episode can’t get here soon enough.
Coffee Talk Episode 2: Hibiscus & Butterfly will release on Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One, and PC sometime in 2022.